Nationwide situation of the health authorities remains unclear

Corona
Corona
Despite the risk of a second wave of infections with the coronavirus, there is currently no nationwide overview of whether the health authorities now have the necessary staff to take action.

This emerges from a response from the Federal Ministry of Health to a parliamentary request from the Greens in the Bundestag, which the newspapers of the “Redaktionsnetzwerk Deutschland” report on in their Thursday editions. At the end of March, the federal and state governments agreed that a team of five employees should be available for every 20.000 inhabitants in all health offices to keep track of contacts.

When asked whether the goal had been achieved, the ministry merely wrote that the federal government had no information about it, "since the respective authorities of the federal states and municipalities decide on the composition and composition of the staff for contact person management". The answer to the request also shows that of the 50 million euros promised by the federal government in mid-May for the further digitization of the health authorities and the connection to the electronic reporting and information system, not a single euro has been paid. The ministry stated that the administrative agreement required for federal funding had only recently been sent to the states for signature. The Green health expert Kirsten Kappert-Gonther sharply criticized: "The public health service is at the beginning of a possible second wave in the rain," she told the RND. "Health Minister Jens Spahn must work with the federal states to ensure that the health authorities quickly receive sufficient and qualified staff and good technical equipment," she demanded. These staff must be permanently available to the health authorities. "We need registers nationwide that provide information about the acute personnel situation and that can be used to specifically assign reinforcements to the health authorities," said the Green politician.